Identity fraud is a risk to all of us, both as individuals and as businesses, simply because we deal with so many pieces of information on a daily basis. In addition, the new GDPR legislation also affects how organisations store, handle and process data. The GDPR rules require organisations to take more responsibility for destroying documents in a secure and timely manner. That's why now is the time to invest in a top quality paper shredder.
Paper Shredder Buying Guide
Before deciding on a shredder, you should consider the following:
› Where will the shredder be used?
› What level of security is required?
› Which type of shredder would best suit your needs?
› What else to look for when choosing your shredder
› Choosing the right shredder
ON BUSINESS MACHINES
Now up to €100 Cashback on selected Fellowes business machines
Where will the shredder be used?
Our personal shredders are ideal for individual users handling confidential information in the office or home, feature up to 10 minute run times and are engineered for light/medium usage.View shredders
Small office/home office shredders
Our small office/home office shredders are ideal for 1-5 users who handle confidential information, feature up to 45 minute run times and are engineered for medium/heavy usage.View shredders
Our commercial grade shredders are ideal for large offices with multiple users, feature continuous run times for non-stop shredding and are engineered for heavy usage.View shredders
What level of security is required?
View the range ›
View the range ›
View the range ›
Which type of shredder would best suit your needs?
These are the most common type of shredder. The user stays next to the machine whilst manually inserting documents for shredding. We would recommend a manual shredder if you like to shred as you go, if sensitive information needs to be destroyed immediately or for large scale one off jobs like archive shredding in an office.Show Manual Shredders
The user loads multiple documents into the tray, leaving you free to walk-away and continue working whilst your shredding is done automatically.We would recommend an automatic shredder if large volumes of paper are regularly built up in single sessions, Information is not so sensitive to warrant immediate destruction, or if time spent shredding paper is inconvenient and unproductive.Show AutoFeed Shredders
What else to look for when choosing your shredder
Along with numerous options in shredder performance and security levels, there are also many features available that make shredding more effective for the home or workplace. When you think about where your shredder will be located and who will be using it, some additional needs may have to be considered.
- How Much Do You Shred? - When selecting a paper shredder, consider a combination of how much time you spend shredding with how much paper you typically shred. The longer the run time the more paper you will be able to shred before your machine will need a cool down period.
- Paper Jams - This is the number 1 frustration among shredder users. Look for a paper shredder with anti-jam technologies as this will help prevent paper jams.
- Safety Features - A paper shredder used in the home can be a potential hazard for children and pets. Choose a home paper shredder with safety features like a safety lock or SafeSense if this is a concern for your home office.
- Shred More Than Paper - After a paper shredder, a credit card shredder is one of the most common choices among consumers. You can find shredders that can shred staples, paper clips, credit cards, CDs, DVDs and junk mail, in addition to paper.
- Quiet Shredding - If noisy paper shredders have been a nuisance in the past, or if you work in a shared space, a paper shredder with quieter performance may be important.
Choosing the right shredder
Selecting the best paper shredder for your needs depends on several factors, from what the shredder will be used for, to how much it will be used. One of the biggest mistakes shredder buyers make is purchasing a shredder that does not meet their needs and often buying a shredder that is not robust enough. For example, they may purchase a personal shredder when in fact what would best suit them is an office shredder, suited for bigger jobs. They may even require a heavy duty shredder if working in a large department/office. For greater security needs, a micro cut shredder is the best choice as it offers a higher security level and with it, peace of mind. A shredder with a credit card adaptation to it can also be purchased if you need to destroy more than just paper. Also if you are buying a paper shredder for use at home, buyers would need to consider safety features, for safe use around children and pets.